The Global Impact Film Festival (GIDC), brought to you by DCBX, is a dynamic independent film festival in Washington, D.C. that focuses on cultivating global outreach, celebrating culture and supporting non-profit organizations through their selection of socially impactful films. Our mission is to empower lives by celebrating the power of media for social justice. We showcase short documentary and narrative films that provoke and inspire social change.
Categories for Submission:
We are looking for documentaries that provoke and inspire change. We want to motivate our audiences to react to the many social issues happening around the world. Shorts must be between 3 and 30 minutes in order to qualify.
“Storytelling is at the heart of the human experience”. The short narrative can be any genre that makes an impact on its audience. We are looking for short films that create a social impact on the human experience, no matter what that experience may be. Shorts must be between 3 and 30 minutes in order to qualify.
GENERAL RULES: “PLEASE READ”
- Short films must be between 3 and 30 minutes; no more, no less.
- GIDC accepts short films of any genre that provoke and inspire social change. This includes experimental short films. This does not include commercials, infomercials, trailers, music videos, web series, episodic documentary series, or Virtual Reality (VR).
- Submissions are accepted via the FilmFreeway screening platform only.
- Filmmakers will be notified no later than June 1st of their submission status.
- Short films in a foreign language must have English subtitles or English dubbing.
- There is no premiere requirement for short films. (Films can have already played in other festivals, can appear online and are still eligible for consideration).
- More than one entry may be submitted. Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form and entry fee.
- Previously submitted films will not be accepted, unless the film has undergone significant content changes (60% or more) and meets all other submission requirements. Permission to re-apply is required. Please email email@example.com.
- Due to the high volume of submissions, we cannot accept rough cuts or works-in-progress to avoid confusion on our staff in the programming department. When applying, please make sure to submit the final version of the short film via the Withoutabox online screener or the FilmFreeway screening platform for consideration.
- The entry fee is non-refundable.
- Due to the number of submissions, GIDC cannot provide feedback on entries.
- All film entries must fill out the entire FilmFreeway submission criteria in order to be considered. That includes attaching posters, synopsis, bios, film stills and more.
- All film entries selected for the festival grant Global Impact Film Festival (GIDC) the rights to use provided stills, footage, clips, trailers and information from the film for promotional purposes only.
- All short films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and the filmmaker must have cleared all rights for music and exhibition.
- GIDC reserves the right to change any information contained in this document (including Festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements) without further notice.
Please click below to be taken outside of the GIDC website to our FilmFreeway Submission Form.